Race Update for 2021
All 2020 participants will have guaranteed entry into the 2021 race. Please note that although your entry is guaranteed, you will still need to pay the race fee for the 2021 race. You will receive a 20 percent discount at registration.
When is the next Blue Cross Broad Street Run, and what is the starting time?
Like many races across the country, we have been evaluating our plans for 2021 in light of the continued spread of COVID-19 in Philadelphia and across the United States. At this time, it is clear that we cannot safely hold the Blue Cross Broad Street Run in May. As a result, we’ve decided to delay the 2021 Blue Cross Broad Street Run to the fall.
Our team is in communication with the City of Philadelphia to ensure that when the race is held, it is done with public health and safety as our top priority. While the future trajectory of COVID-19 is still unknown, we are hopeful that we’ll be able to welcome runners for the 2021 Broad Street Run this fall. We will share the date and start time as soon as plans are finalized.
Does the Blue Cross Broad Street Run benefit charity?
Yes, the American Cancer Society benefits through the runners’ donations and pledges.
Who do I contact if I want to share my own Blue Cross Broad Street Run experience?
If you have a story to tell about why you are participating in the Blue Cross Broad Street Run, we would like to hear it. Send your story to [email protected].
Lottery and Registration
When does the lottery open?
Because of the changes to the 2020 race, there will be no lottery for 2021, unlike our traditional procedure. Anyone who was registered in 2020 will be given the opportunity to register for 2021 at a discounted rate. All runners who were registered for the 2020 race will receive a guaranteed entry link from RunSignUp.com once the race date is confirmed and registration is open.
How do I register for the Blue Cross Broad Street Run?
Registration is traditionally done through a lottery. However, due to the 2020 race being moved to a virtual event, all runners from the 2020 race are guaranteed a spot in the 2021 race. Therefore, there will not be a lottery for 2021.
Is there an age limit to run the race?
Before the race
If I am unable to attend the Health and Wellness Expo, presented by Penn Medicine, how can I obtain my race packet?
If you cannot attend the Health and Wellness Expo, presented by Penn Medicine, you may designate someone to pick up your packet for you. It would be helpful to give them your race bib number to speed up the pick-up process.
The person picking up your packet must show proof of their identity along with a copy of your photo identification so that your packet can be released to them.
Are there pace groups for the race?
Can I change corrals?
Where can I buy race gear?
How do I find training teams, so I don’t have to train alone?
- Complete training manual
- Multiple weekly group runs
- Interactive group website
- Dry fit shirt
How do I obtain a USATF Membership card?
Where do I park?
There is no parking available in the start area. We recommend that all runners park their cars for free in the Sports Complex parking lots (Broad Street and Pattison Avenue). From there, you can take the SEPTA Broad Street Line to the start area.
Are hydration backpacks allowed?
No backpacks, coolers, or non-clear bags are permitted along the route, including start and finish areas. Water stations are located throughout the course.
How do I get to the starting area?
Is there transportation back to start area when the race is completed?
Where is the gear check located?
- Put some form of identification, including your name, address, and phone number, inside your bag in case we need to ship the bag back to you after the race. Any garments without a bag will not be accepted.
- Find a gear check bus located around the start area, including Olney Avenue, Old York Road, and Somerville Avenue. (There will be no buses on Broad Street).
- Gear must be checked onto a bus by 7:00 a.m.
- Each bus will have 500 security wristbands. You will receive two matching wristbands and a sticker when you check your bag. Place one wristband on your gear and hand it to a volunteer. Place the second wristband on your wrist and place the sticker on the back of your race bib.
- Don’t forget the bus number in which you checked your gear, because buses will not be loaded by bib number.
- Pick up your gear in the Navy Yard at the south end of the Marine Parade Grounds, in the parking lot directly across Constitution Avenue.
How can I get a photo taken of me during the race?
We have contracted with MarathonFoto to capture runners in motion on race day. Photos will be available at marathonfoto.com shortly after the conclusion of the race.
Are the runners allowed to wear headsets/earphone?
How do I obtain applications for Kids Fun Activities?
Where are the best places to watch the race?
- The start area near Broad and Fisher Street
- North Broad Street along the Temple University Campus
- North Broad Street at Callowhill near the Philadelphia Daily News Building
- City Hall — West Side at Dilworth Plaza
- Broad and Walnut Streets outside The Bellevue
- South Broad Street along the Avenue of the Arts
- South Broad Street at Carpenter (High School for the Creative and Performing Arts)
- South Broad Street at Jackson (South Philadelphia High School)
- South Broad Street at Bigler Street
- South Broad Street at Packer Avenue, one block from Chickie’s & Pete’s
- Broad and Pattison at the Sports Complex
Are strollers allowed in the Navy Yard?
Can I bring a bag/backpack/cooler into the Navy Yard?
Independence Blue Cross is the proud sponsor of Philly's premier 10 mile race, conducted by the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department.